The first construction of the Cathedral of Taormina dates back to the 13th century on the ruins of a small church dedicated to San Nicola di Bari. It was then rebuilt in the 15th, 16th and 18th centuries.
On the main façade, between two fifteenth-century archofusses, we find the beautiful main portal, which was rebuilt in 1636, by decision of the Jurors of that time (local administrators), as evidenced by the plaque placed above the portal. This portal has two Corinthian style fluted columns resting on high bases and above the architrave there is a broken pediment; the faces of two angels peep over the capitals of the columns. The jambs, which are engraved with eleven figures on each side, are the original ones of the most ancient portal. These twenty-two figures represent St. Paul (the keys), St. Peter (the sword of the Faith) King David (the cithara), the four evangelists in their characteristic symbols: Leo (St. Mark), Aquila (St. John), the Toro (Luca) and the Angelo (Matteo). The identification of the other Saints and Apostles is not always so simple and evident. The two figures at the top, that is to say, the two bishops in the act of blessing with miter and pastoral are St. Nicholas, the titular saint of the church and St. Pancrazio, the patron saint of the city.